If you are experiencing one of the following issues, continue reading:
- A presentation timing out
- Receiving this error message: “Presentation generation timed out. Please check your queries and try again."
- Your presentation takes over 15 minutes to generate
Matik presentations that take over 15 minutes to complete will timeout and return an error. Additionally, if you are generating a presentation and 15 minutes have passed, the presentation has likely failed.
The most common cause of this error is that one or more of the queries or data sources used to generate dynamic content in the presentation is taking more than 15 minutes to pull the required data. Since this may just be a transient issue with your data source, regenerate your presentation to see if the issue persists. Contact your Matik Administrator for assistance.
If you are a Matik Administrator or Presentation Builder, verify your data sources are working properly and all dynamic content is running in under 15 minutes. A good rule of thumb is that if the native data source takes close to 15 minutes to run, it might be causing issues with Matik. Once the faulty data source has been identified, optimize your query or data source to obtain a quicker runtime. Reach out to the administrator of your data source for specific optimization questions.
Often, data sources will experience high demand during the workday, resulting in long runtimes. One workaround is to schedule presentations to run at a different time (such as early in the morning) when your data source servers might have lower loads.
BI Tools (Tableau, Looker)
If you are experiencing slow runtimes on BI tools, review the source dashboards in which the Dynamic Content connects. Longer runtime for these dashboards will result in longer runtimes for Matik. You can help reduce runtime by:
- Removing unnecessary data and filters not related to your Dynamic Content.
- Using global filters that apply to the whole dashboard rather than specific metrics.
- Creating separate dashboards for separate pieces of Dynamic Content. Matik will run the whole dashboard, including any content not used in the requested Dynamic Content. Only having content in your dashboard related to the specific piece of Dynamic Content prevents the processing of unnecessary data.