Matik allows users to use a CSV file containing inputs to run a bulk generation batch. With this functionality, a user doesn't need to enter input values into Matik manually. The user uploads a CSV file with a row of inputs for each presentation to be generated, which generates the requested presentations. See this article to use CSV bulk generation with Matik Mail.
Enabling CSV Bulk Generation
You can turn on CSV bulk generation for your Enterprise as a Matik Producer Admin. Click on your profile picture or initials on the top right of Matik and click on Enterprise Settings on the dropdown. On the settings page, select the "Enable CSV-powered bulk generation" checkbox, and click the "Update" button. This will enable CSV Bulk Generation for all users in your enterprise.
CSV File Format
To use CSV Bulk Generation, you must first create a CSV file with all required inputs for your presentation to run. A CSV, or comma-separated values file, is a plain text file that represents a table. each line of text is a row, and column values are separated by commas. You can create a CSV file by creating a spreadsheet and going to File > Save as CSV.
The user will need to determine what dependent inputs are required. There is no input validation with CSV bulk generation. Additionally, "Select All" is not a valid value if all input options are desired for a multi-select input. All values must be listed. Matik will attempt to pass any input value from the CSV file into your dynamic content and run even if that value is invalid or not in the Matik inputs selection list. Use caution when creating CSV files to ensure they are free of errors and values that may cause queries and APIs to filter data incorrectly or put excessive strain on your data systems.
Your CSV file should have one row for each desired presentation. The file should have a header row with the input name that the column represents.
- Dates should be in
YYYY-MM-DD, date ranges should be separated by a semicolon in the same column
- Inputs that contain multiple values should have the values separated by semicolons
;. Slide looping can be enabled by separating looped input values by semicolons.
- Do not put quotes around values. Some CSV formats will automatically put every value in quotes. These formats are not supported.
- If your input is a mapped input, you should use the values inserted into your dynamic content filters, not the values displayed to end users.
- CSV bulk generation is limited to 2000 presentations/ bulk input values per file.
For example, the following CSV will produce two presentations:
If using a spreadsheet editor for this, dates, numbers, and other values may be auto-formatted in a way that is incompatible with Matik. Viewing your CSV in a plain text editor (such as TextEdit, Notepad, or Sublime Text) can help identify issues. For example, line/row 4 is an empty line that will result in a presentation generation attempt.
To upload the CSV and start the bulk upload
- (If you are an Admin) Navigate to the “End User” Tab of Matik.
- Navigate to the Templates page and select a Template.
- Click on the dropdown next to Generate and select "Bulk generate from CSV". It is not necessary to fill out any inputs.
- In the modal that pops up, select your CSV file and click "Generate Immediately".
- You will receive an email from Matik when your Bulk Generation job has been completed! You can also view the status of your bulk generation in the Flows tab.